Job Title: Chief Investment & Operating Officer (CIOO)
Reports to: President and CEO
PLEASE APPLY BY FRIDAY, AUGUST 6, 2021.
We are seeking an unconventional candidate that has the combined background and experience of a Chief Investment Officer and a Chief Operating Officer. This entrepreneurial individual will serve in a newly created position known as the chief investment & operating officer (CIOO). Our goal is to select a candidate that brings expertise in real estate and asset financing, investment management, operational, and program oversite to grow ULC’s place-based real estate mission. We invite candidates with strong C-level real estate finance and investment expertise and C-level operations experience to consider this critical role. The CIOO reports directly to the ULC President & CEO and supervises the Assets and Finance & Administration Departments and works closely with all ULC departments on the strategic deployment of capital, management, and operations of our growing nonprofit real estate organization.
- Oversee and create innovative investment tools for acquisition, development, capital improvements and operations for ULC’s place based real estate mission
a. Build on relationships with existing lenders, investors, and funders to identify new long-term (take out) investment strategies for existing ULC properties. Work closely with the President, Finance, and Asset Departments.
b. Green Facility: Establish a take-out and sustainable $50M facility to be used on Metro Denver Impact Facility (MDIF) financed properties as well as other ULC investments that require significant sustainable upgrades. 10 Year Term at 2%, interest-only the first 3 years, 90% LTV.
c. Provide direction on strategic financing investments to grow ULC’s sustainability fund for future Net Zero renovations.
d. Work closely with ULC Leadership team on new investment, financing, and grant strategies for our place-based mission.
e. Create an analytical framework for better assessing ULC portfolio, with the goal of expanding permanently affordable housing and nonprofit facilities by 50% over the next three years, while growing the community land trust (CLT).
f. Manage new investor and lender selection through intensive quantitative and qualitative research processes.
g. Provide regular communication to Leadership and the Board regarding changes in regulations, risks, interest rate, portfolio performance and real estate market factors affecting our mission.
h. Recommend real estate financing policies and procedures that provide a basis for management and Board decisions.
i. Recommend to Board and staff new financing opportunities that support the mission.
j. Oversee necessary reporting and documentation to funding entities to ensure loans and grants are in compliance.
- Oversee Asset, and Finance and Administration department operations,
a. Oversee the Assets Department’s growth and support its long-term capital/net zero projects with creative new sources of financing. Specifically work with the Assets Director on long term financing of ULC assets and expand sustainability net zero fund from $3M to $8M over the next three years. Build the Department’s knowledge of these financing tools.
b. Enhance business effectiveness by contributing to the short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as a member of the leadership team.
c. Oversee Finance & Administration Department, supporting its annual budgeting and financial reporting. Build the Department’s knowledge on all ULC financing and investment strategies.
d. Provide support, develop and deliver internal management updates/strategy presentations with the Leadership Team. Coordinate decision-making across the Departments, specifically on real estate financing, investments, and operations.
e. Drive initiatives in the Leadership Team and organizationally that contribute to the long-term operational excellence of ULC.
- Oversee Internal and External partnerships of place-based real estate financing:
a. Represent ULC as an expert on real estate financing in the communities we work in, building on and growing partnerships and collaborations already established.
b. Meet with public officials, private sector, foundations, and nonprofits to gain support for ULC’s real estate financing strategies.
c. Work collaboratively with stakeholders across the real estate industry to understand broader list of strategic initiatives underway and planned (e.g. National Western redevelopment in Denver).
d. Help shape and prioritize investment strategies to ensure alignment over a multi-year road map.
e. Develop new external partnerships that expand ULC’s access to below market capital.
f. Be a presenter in conferences relevant to ULC’s work.
g. Special Projects / Strategic Initiatives – Lead planning for critical Real Estate Financing events (e.g., lender breakfasts, town halls, Board meetings); play an active role in employee processes and engagement activities.
The successful candidate for this role will have a strong track record in driving both strategy and tactical execution of real estate investment in the role as CFO, CIO or COO. She or he will bring 10+ years of management experience of real estate finance and investment. Deep knowledge of nonprofit real estate development and finance is a plus.
- Hands-on experience
- 10+ years of management experience in real estate finance, portfolio investment, and operations.
- At least 15 years experience in the field of real estate finance and operations.
- Experience in creating and managing +$10M loan fund.
- Experience in successfully leading real estate investment team.
- Be a big-picture thinker while also recognizing and mitigating risk.
- Strong general manager – including hiring, mentoring, and development.
- Demonstrated leadership skills such as organizing, problem-solving, decision-making, planning, and active listening.
- In-depth knowledge of real estate finance, asset classes, and various investment products.
- Expert in managing the full spectrum of real estate financing, fixed income, and alternative strategies for ULC.
- Solid work ethic with a strong degree of integrity.
- Strong verbal/written communications with the ability to tailor message to audience
- Strong presentation skills.
- Proven ability to work across departments to influence others at senior levels, and build strong relationships. Experience as a COO is very helpful.
- Demonstrated leadership in setting strategy and driving an agenda.
- Strong people and process management skills.
- Ability to delegate effectively and manage delivery/execution of a wide range of tasks and initiatives.
- Ability to work independently and possess a strong sense of accountability/ownership.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills – CIOO background useful.
- Ability to use desktop tools to develop presentations for senior management- working knowledge of MS Office, particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles,
- Requires a BA in Business, Finance, Accounting or equivalent. MBA or equivalent degree preferred.
- Must pass an acceptable reference check
- Must pass a satisfactory criminal background check
- Must be reliable, punctual, and demonstrate a good work ethic
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for up 90% of scheduled work hours
- Must be able to attend evening and weekend meetings, networking events, conferences and speaking engagements
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment, copy machine, computer, printer
- Starting salary range is $155,000-$180,000 per year and is commensurate with depth of experience and overall qualifications
- 37.5-hour work week
- Benefits include
- Health insurance – two plans offered; employees pay a portion of the monthly premium
- 100% employer-paid dental and vision insurance, life insurance, AD&D, short- and long-term disability
- 401(k) after six months; 7% employer-paid contribution (no match required)
- Paid time off; new employees accrue 15 days in the first year
- Nine paid holidays
- Flex Time
- Cost-of-living and performance-based salary increases are given depending upon current policy; bonuses possible depending upon current policy
How to Apply:
Send resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org using CIOO as the subject.