Commerce City has long been a haven for people displaced from surrounding Denver neighborhoods as housing costs continue to rise. But as Colorado’s third fastest-growing city, Commerce City has also begun to see steep real-estate increases in recent years. Because of this, ULC worked with community stakeholders to develop affordable commercial rental space for nonprofits and other mission-minded organizations.
ULC acquired the Adams County Human Services building, now referred to as South Platte Crossing, in late 2018. The area, located steps away from the RTD N-Line, was renamed Commerce City Community Campus by the community and is rapidly developing into a holistic hub for neighborhood wellness and support. The building integrates healthcare and social services to effectively manage complex clinical and social needs.
Among healthcare providers and other mission-minded organizations currently or soon-to-be located in the building are…
- Tri County Health Department: over 60 programs and services ranging from birth certificates, immunizations and health care referrals to infections disease investigations
- Front Range Clinic: MAT Provider, evidence-based, unique approach to drug addiction treatment and addiction medicine
- Women, Infants & Children (WIC): Free nutritious foods and education for pregnant and postpartum women, infants and children
- Early Childhood Partnership of Adams County (ECPAC): increase equitable access to high-quality, affordable early childhood and family supports
- Kids First Health Care (KFHC): Integrated medical and behavioral health pediatrics integrating with oral health
- Kids in Need of Dentistry (KIND): Oral health clinic, outreach and education, integrating with pediatric care
- Colorado Orthodontic Foundation (COF): accessible and affordable orthodontic care for low-Income families
- United for a New Economy (UNE): building community power through organizing, community activism and innovative policy solutions
- Cultivando: community-led work, social justice and collaborative leadership
In addition, South Platte Crossing is a short walk away from the 72nd Avenue RTD Transit Station, which grants access to the extensive light rail and bus network and at least one Adams 14 school. ULC is also in the process of creating more affordable rental housing on the Campus to help stabilize displacement of individuals and families in the area.